- How to Avoid Blue Monday Blues
- IR35 Changes Review by Treasury
- Are You “Good Work” Ready?
- Blog Monitoring Social Media
- There are Nine Million Lonely People in the UK – Are Your Employees Among Them?
- How to Help Your Team Build Good Mental Health
- Draw Your Team Together to Create Solutions to Problems
- The Works Christmas “Do” (and Don’ts!)
- The Only Way is Up
- A Gentler Route to Approaching a Poor Performance Conversation
- Offering Sabbaticals
- How to Stimulate Intellectual Curiosity in Yourself and Your Team
- Help Your Team Become More Time Affluent
- Bug Off!
- Winter Blues
- Pension and PHI
- Beware! Voluntary Redundancy Can Lead to Unfair Dismissal Claims
- Can an Employer Make a Sick Employee Redundant?
- Are Employees Entitled to Time off to Attend a Funeral?
- Are You Looking for Mr Right*?
- Are All Your Balls Up in the Air?
- Should the UK Offer 24/7 Childcare for Working Parents?
- Gone Today, Here Tomorrow?
- How to Create Informal Mentoring Opportunities
- Perception of Disability
- How Managers Can Help Grieving Workers
- Not All Carrots Are the Same! Money and Motivation
- How to Stop Feeling So Stressed
- Can Dilbertian Thinking Improve Results?
- Court of Appeal Rules in New Holiday Pay Calculation Case
Ginger Consultation Takes the Biscuit
Breaking news that the Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform was launching a consultation on discrimination against ginger haired people sent employment lawyers scurrying for information last week.
Law firm Wake Smith & Tofields sent out the law bulletin saying the Government was consulting on “gingerism” as an extension of equality laws. Former Labour leader Neil Kinnock was cited as a spokesman for a pressure group on the issue and lobbyists were said to be pushing for the name of ginger nut biscuits to be changed.
Sheepish looks were exchanged in the employment law community (though not it has to be said at Russell HR Consulting where we can spot a joke) as the bulletin was discovered to be an April Fool. However, who knows...... even the mooting of the idea, potty though it is, may lead the current Government to introduce the concept of gingerism to its Equality Bill. Making life almost impossible for small businesses has never seemed to bother them over-much............
Subscribe to our free monthly HR newsletter. Russell HR Consulting employment law newsletters are emailed automatically to our ever-growing number of subscribers every month.