- How to Avoid Blue Monday Blues
- IR35 Changes Review by Treasury
- Are You “Good Work” Ready?
- Blog Monitoring Social Media
- There are Nine Million Lonely People in the UK – Are Your Employees Among Them?
- How to Help Your Team Build Good Mental Health
- Draw Your Team Together to Create Solutions to Problems
- The Works Christmas “Do” (and Don’ts!)
- The Only Way is Up
- A Gentler Route to Approaching a Poor Performance Conversation
- Offering Sabbaticals
- How to Stimulate Intellectual Curiosity in Yourself and Your Team
- Help Your Team Become More Time Affluent
- Bug Off!
- Winter Blues
- Pension and PHI
- Beware! Voluntary Redundancy Can Lead to Unfair Dismissal Claims
- Can an Employer Make a Sick Employee Redundant?
- Are Employees Entitled to Time off to Attend a Funeral?
- Are You Looking for Mr Right*?
- Are All Your Balls Up in the Air?
- Should the UK Offer 24/7 Childcare for Working Parents?
- Gone Today, Here Tomorrow?
- How to Create Informal Mentoring Opportunities
- Perception of Disability
- How Managers Can Help Grieving Workers
- Not All Carrots Are the Same! Money and Motivation
- How to Stop Feeling So Stressed
- Can Dilbertian Thinking Improve Results?
- Court of Appeal Rules in New Holiday Pay Calculation Case
Summer 2009 Student Work Experience
During Summer 2009, Russell HR Consulting have offered students of Northampton University Business School an opportunity to come in and work with Kate and the team on a work experience programme. During the Summer we’ll be asking our students for their views on what they have learnt during their time with us and putting entries on our blog. Our first student was Marta Wisniewska who has written her entry below.
Over to you Marta....
My name is Marta and I would like to say ‘Thank You’ to HR Russell Consulting for the opportunity to take me for work experience.I am a student of Human Resource Management at the University of Northampton.During my summer work experience I have learnt a lot! Definitely much more than I expected!
Not only I was involved in grievance interview where I had a chance to take notes, attending clients’ managerial meetings regarding company re-structuring, conducting a HR file audit for a client, but also got involved in the company finance and structure of accounts. I was showed the company records keeping and the whole business from the inside.
I also had a chance to learn some IT skills during my work experience. I learnt from one member of the team how to update company website and later had an opportunity to add an entry on to the site myself. I was also involved in updating the database. Furthermore, I was given a task of altering a staff handbook and making my recommendations. This was followed by a discussion of my proposed version with Kate. On this occasion I had a chance to talk with the expert about legal issues and practical things that should be in a staff handbook.
I am very impressed how much I have learnt in such a short time! I wish my university course gave me more practical experience and am very grateful to the HR Russell Consulting team for their kindness and help provided. Moreover, I was encouraged to ask questions and the team were always happy to provide answers and were patient with my questions! I wish all the best to HR Russell Consulting and looking forward to work with them in future!
Subscribe to our free monthly HR newsletter. Russell HR Consulting employment law newsletters are emailed automatically to our ever-growing number of subscribers every month.